Don’t you just hate it when you’ve googled a recipe and you have to scroll through the story of how the recipe came about, the writer’s philosophy on the ingredients, a (not) brief anecdote about the seasons and what happened that day? Me too – let’s cut straight to our tasty pancakes! x
Blackberry & Apple Protein Pancakes (Gluten & Dairy Free)
GF DF SyF NF V
Makes 8-10 Pancakes
- 60g teff flakes or gluten free oats (I used Tobia Teff)
- 25g vegan protein powder (I used Sun Warrior vanilla flavour blend, whey works too if you can do moo)
- 120g apple puree
- 210g egg whites
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- A large handful of blackberries
- Coconut oil for frying
- Syrup, dairy free yogurt or fruit to serve
- Measure all of the ingredients and place all except the blackberries into a powerful blender. Blend until completely smooth, adding a little dairy free milk if the batter is too thick. Stir in the whole blackberries.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Spoon and spread the mixture into the pan to form 2-3 inch rounds (about 2-3 tbsp per pancake) and cook for about 2 minutes.
- When the pancakes start to form bubbles on the surface, flip with a spatula, and cook for 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Remove the cooked pancakes onto a plate and keep warm in the oven until serving.
- Top with your choice of syrup, dairy free yogurt or fresh fruit. The pancakes can be frozen or kept in the fridge and reheated in the toaster or microwave.
The apple puree can be easily switched for pretty much any fruit or vegetable puree – pear, banana or sweet potato work particularly well, and lend natural sweetness – choose your flavouring to complement (e.g. vanilla, cocoa powder, ginger…)
Macros (per pancake- calculated on MyFitnessPal
- Calories: 84kcal
- Fat: 2.3g
- Carbs: 10.5g
- Protein: 5.9g