Don’t you just hate it when you’ve googled a recipe and you have to scroll through the story of how the recipe came about, the writer’s philosophy on the ingredients, a (not) brief anecdote about the seasons and what happened that day? Me too – let’s cut straight to our tasty pancakes! x
Blackberry & Apple Protein Pancakes (Gluten & Dairy Free)
GF DF SyF NF V
Makes 8-10 Pancakes
- 60g teff flakes or gluten free oats (I used Tobia Teff)
- 25g vegan protein powder (I used Sun Warrior vanilla flavour blend, whey works too if you can do moo)
- 120g apple puree
- 210g egg whites
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- A large handful of blackberries
- Coconut oil for frying
- Syrup, dairy free yogurt or fruit to serve
- Measure all of the ingredients and place all except the blackberries into a powerful blender. Blend until completely smooth, adding a little dairy free milk if the batter is too thick. Stir in the whole blackberries.
- Heat a little oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Spoon and spread the mixture into the pan to form 2-3 inch rounds (about 2-3 tbsp per pancake) and cook for about 2 minutes.
- When the pancakes start to form bubbles on the surface, flip with a spatula, and cook for 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Remove the cooked pancakes onto a plate and keep warm in the oven until serving.
- Top with your choice of syrup, dairy free yogurt or fresh fruit. The pancakes can be frozen or kept in the fridge and reheated in the toaster or microwave.
The apple puree can be easily switched for pretty much any fruit or vegetable puree – pear, banana or sweet potato work particularly well, and lend natural sweetness – choose your flavouring to complement (e.g. vanilla, cocoa powder, ginger…)
Macros (per pancake- calculated on MyFitnessPal
- Calories: 84kcal
- Fat: 2.3g
- Carbs: 10.5g
- Protein: 5.9g
I’ve got 2kg worth of ‘large handfuls’ of blackberries in the fridge freezer. Early crop this year! Earmarked for jam, but these look good enough to make me reconsider …
I’m not the only one that got over-enthusiastic with the picking then? There are so many about at the moment! We’ve done jam, and now I have ‘fruit leather’ drying in the oven with some other berries past their best.
I love the combination of Apple and Blueberry! These look fantastic and a great healthy alternative. I have tried protein powder in smoothies but never pancakes so I look forward to giving this a go :)
Oooo yes!! These look fab Carly! You always do great recipes.
Love your blog (big fan of ‘clean’ themes without a tonne of stuff obscuring the text) and your photography is great. I’m looking at doing a food photography class soon to learn the basics so enjoyed your other recent post on this! I also have a dislike of faffy intros to posts and a particular disdain for melon being served to me as a glutenfree starter/desert offering… Pancakes look tasty I will give these a go!
Ah thanks for your kind words! Hope you enjoy x
I love that you’ve used teff in these pancakes, such a great idea! I used to dislike loooong random ramblings before finally getting to the recipe, but I do enjoy getting to know other bloggers better :) my pet hate at the moment is when recipes have too many HUUUGE photos that take forever to load…argh, annoying, lol! Thank you for having 2 appropriately sized photos :D
Love your photography lately, these look fab!