We love a good competition, especially when it gives us chance to put our creative caps on! We joined Holland & Barrett for one of the many Great British Bake Off-themed competitions around at the moment. They challenged us to make a video showing gluten free biscuits – so we went 3 better! Our toddler-friendly sweet potato biscuits are also free from dairy, egg, and added sugar. A and I would really appreciate your vote this week by ‘liking’ the video on You Tube. Of course, you’re very welcome to skip to the recipe below and make them yourself if you like too :)
Toddler-Friendly Sweet Potato Biscuits
Makes 24 small biscuits. GF DF EF SyF NF V Vg
Baking without egg is brilliant for toddlers – if a little of the dough accidentally gets eaten, there’s no bad tummy to worry about! In this recipe, the sweet potato performs the job that egg (or gluten) would. It also makes the perfect base for grown up spices like paprika and cayenne for a more grown up cocktail biscuit, just make sure to roll them as thinly as possible.
- 75g plain gluten free flour blend
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 30g dairy free butter
- 60g sweet potato puree
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sugar (optional, or more to taste)
- Preheat the oven to 180°c. If you don’t have ready made sweet potato puree, peel, chop & steam 1 medium sweet potato. Allow to cool, and blend with 2-3 tbsp dairy free milk to form a smooth puree before weighing the correct amount.
- Mix together the plain flour and baking powder, then rub in the dairy free butter with your fingertips to form a breadcrumb-like texture.
- Add the sweet potato puree, and mix until it forms a wet dough. Roll or pat the dough out onto a floured surface, as thinly as possible, and cut out your desired shapes.
- Place the shapes on an ungreased silicone mat/baking tray and sprinkle with the spices and sugar (if using).
- Bake for approximately 12 minutes until crisp and starting to brown (If toddler has made them thick, they will probably need longer). Leave to cool before eating. Store in an airtight container.
They sound great. Love the idea of the sweet potato.
These sound lovely and easy to make with the kids. Thanks for entering #freefromfridays!
This is genius!! I love the idea of sweet potato biscuits! I am definitely going to make these. Good luck in the contest, I am voting for you :)
Pingback: August Was… | gluten free b·
Pingback: Holland & Barrett, The #HBBakeOff | gluten free b·