The weather’s a bit temperamental at the moment, I’m swinging between putting things on skewers for hasty weeknight barbecues, and eyeing up my Le Creuset casserole dish!
My favourite thing to do when the weather turns wet, is turn on the radio and bop about the kitchen in a cloud of (gluten free) flour. Luckily this amuses the baby for a while too, but how is a baking-addict going to get by when trying to part ways with one too many spoonfuls of sugar? Well – here are some of my favourite lower-sugar and slightly-more-wholesome bakes. Ideal to share with the little ones in a living room picnic.
Of course you should be aware that ‘sugar free’ doesn’t always mean ‘sugar free’ – maple syrup, dried fruit, fresh fruit, coconut sugar- are all still sugar! As such, even though these treats contain more fibre and whole ingredients, they should nonetheless be enjoyed as a treat.
- Deliciously Ella’s Sweet Potato Brownies – sounds weird, tastes amazing. You’ll never believe they are so low in fat, completely dairy free, and so full of lovely wholesome ingredients! Head over to Deliciously Ella for the recipe and video.
- Dietitian Priya’s Banana Flapjacks have become a staple in our household. Using banana instead of sugar and syrup to bind the oats and fruit together makes for a much more virtuous cereal bar – perfect for elevenses. Check out some of her flavour combinations, or my slightly naughtier chocolate & coconut oil version.
Vicky’s Lemony Apple, Raisin & Cinnamon Biscuits just melt in the mouth. As talented Vicky cooks for the ‘specific carbohydrate diet‘, most of her recipes are grain free and low in carbohydrates so you’ll find plenty of inspiration for lower sugar recipes on her blog.
- Little Sugar Free Carrot Cakes were the first cakes I made for Baby A that resembled proper cake! They pack in lots of fruit and vegetables, and are free from refined sugar. You can find more of my ‘baby bakes’ here.
- 2 Ingredient Cookies are all over the web, but I’m putting my version here using Perk!er gluten free porridge version here because I’m still surprised how many people haven’t tried them! Just the ticket for when you need a tiny pick me up, are short on time, or have a teething baby who wants to chew your shoulder/knee/fingers/the table leg…
2 Ingredient Perk!er Cookies
Makes 8 baby-sized cookies, best eaten on day of baking
- 1 ripe medium banana
- ½ cup Perk!er berry porridge (or normal porridge oats plus your choice of dried fruit)
- Preheat the oven to 180ºc (fan) and line a baking tray.
- (optional baby-friendly step), pulse the porridge in a food processor to chop the berry pieces.
- Mix well with the mashed banana. At this point you can add in any extras you like – I add in a touch of vanilla for a milkshake flavour!
- Place dessert-spoonfuls of the mix on the baking tray, and flatten with a fork.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly browned, then leave to cool.
You can see more of my kitchen projects and baking adventures here.
What are your favourite healthier bakes? Please share any recipes in the comments! x