I’ve been doing more baking without refined sugar so Baby A has snacks ready in the freezer, and whilst she is very complementary about my efforts (at least that’s how I interpret her hoovering them up in 2 bites or less), the endless banana/apple/oat-based concoctions are a little bit heavy and stodgy!
With a little experimentation based on some recipes I had in the cupboard & some things about the house, I came up with these little cakes/muffins. My first without refined sugar that have a proper rise and lighter texture! I blitzed the raisins so she doesn’t choke on them, but you could keep them in whole if you prefer.
Spongy Little Sugar Free Carrot Cakes
Makes 8 small cakes
- 1 medium egg
- 30g olive oil
- 30g prune purée (I used Ella’s Kitchen)
- 1 ripe medium banana, mashed
- 30g raisins, blitzed until sticky in a food processor
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated
- 75g gluten free self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- Preheat the oven to 180ºc (fan), and line a muffin or cupcake pan.
- Beat together the egg, oil, prune purée and mashed banana using an electric whisk until it forms a lighter, slightly frothy mixture. This will take 2-3 minutes.
- Mix together the grated carrot, flour, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice.
- Gently fold the dry mix into the sticky mix to keep in as much air as possible.
- Place dessert-spoonfuls of the mix in the pan, and bake for approximately 10-12 minutes.
- Cool completely on a wire rack before letting baby loose!
Pingback: 5 Summer Perks: Healthier Bakes for Rainy Days | gluten free b·
These sound brilliant. I am always on the look out for healthy snacks so will be giving these a go! Thanks for sharing.
Pingback: Super Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins - The Free From Fairy·