I couldn’t find a decent recipe anywhere for savoury gluten free biscuits that didn’t have cheese in! So I made my own. This recipe can be easily adapted to use whichever spices or flavours you fancy.
Makes approx. 15 biscuits
- 90g plain gluten free flour (I used a mix of rice, corn and buckwheat flours)
- 25g gluten free oats
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 50g dairy free spread or butter (I used Pure Sunflower Spread)
- 30g/2 tbsp apple purée
- 1 medium sized egg, beaten
- Cumin seeds to top
- Preheat the oven to 160ºc (fan), and line or lightly oil a baking sheet.
- In a food processor, pulse the flour, oats, cumin, baking powder and xanthan gum to combine.
- Add in the butter/spread and pulse until a breadcrumb-like texture forms.
- Add in the apple purée and egg, reserving a little egg to brush on the biscuits; and pulse again to bring the dough together.
- Tip onto a floured surface, and lightly knead to combine.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to about the thickness of a pound coin, and cut into your desired shapes; re-rolling to use all of the dough.
- Brush the biscuits with the reserved egg, and sprinkle a few cumin seeds on each one.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack before serving or storing.