I recently bought some cake mix from Norwegian brand, Sukrin, which was on offer at Ocado. Unfortunately the cake didn’t turn out too well, and when I contacted Sukrin to let them know, they asked if I would like to try some of their other products. After a second batch of (much more successful) cakes (tip: cupcakes work much better than a big cake) I turned my attention to their unusual flours.
I love to try new ingredients, and the low-carbohydrate, low-fat flours made from sesame, almond and coconut especially appealed. But I didn’t have a clue how to use them! With some speckled bananas going spare in the fruit bowl, I created these 2 recipes:
Sesame, Date & Banana Bites
These soft little morsels aren’t true cookies, but they are rather yummy, and are free from dairy and refined sugar to boot! Perfect for a little mid-morning pick-me-up.
Makes 6-9 cookies.
- 50g Sukrin Sesame Flour
- 75g gluten free oats
- 40g chopped dates
- ½ tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 1 ripe banana
- 50g dairy free spread (I used Pure Sunflower spread, you could use butter)
- 25g runny honey
- Preheat the oven to 180°c and lightly oil/line a baking sheet
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, stir together all of the dry ingredients
- Mash the banana
- Melt the dairy-free spread/butter and honey together (about 1 minute on low in the microwave)
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet, and the banana, stirring well until you have a wet, sticky dough
- Drop dessert spoonfuls of the batter onto the baking sheet and flatten slightly with the back of your spoon
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned. Leave to cook on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Coconut & Banana Pancakes
These are the drop-scone/Scotch kind of pancake. Definitely need a generous drizzle of syrup or dollop of Greek yogurt, and a good handful of fresh berries.
Makes 8-10 small pancakes.
- 1 small banana, mashed
- 4 large eggs
- 40g Sukrin Coconut Flour
- 1tsp cinnamon and a little vanilla essence (optional)
- A little coconut or olive oil for frying
- Weigh the coconut flour in a jug or mixing bowl and add the cinnamon.
- In a separate jug, whisk together the eggs, mashed banana and vanilla.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, and which thoroughly to produce an even, sticky batter.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, and drop dessert spoonfuls of the batter into the pan. Cook for approximately 1 minute on each side.
- Serve with your choice of topping!
Have you tried these flours? What other recipes would you recommend?