Today’s guest recipe is from Henrietta Mayers who runs Hen’s Kitchen. There’s something very American about using peanut butter in desserts – we think this would work a treat with some raspberry jelly for a posh PBJ inspired dessert! Anyway, over to Henrietta:
“I founded Hen’s Kitchen to give Coeliacs and those who follow a gluten free diet, gluten free food with a difference. Everything produced has no ‘gluten free’ taste to it so everything can be shared with no compromise on taste. I run the business from Putney and love researching new recipes, the peanut butter parfait is to diefor, really worth the time it takes to make it!!
- 100g/4oz smooth peanut butter
- 2 tbsp hazelnut liqueur ( I omitted this)
- 250 g/9 oz caster sugar
- 75 ml/2.5floz double cream
- 4 eggs 2 whole, 2 separated
- 175g/6oz whipping cream semi-whipped
- Line a 1.2 litre loaf tin with cling film, whisk together the peanut butter, liqueur (if using) and double cream to a smooth paste
- Put 150 g of the sugar, the whole eggs and 2 egg yolks in a bowl set over simmering water and whisk for 5-7 mins until light and mousse like. Remove from heat and continue whisking for 5 mins until cool. Set aside.
- Dissolve the remaining sugar in a small saucepan with 3 tbsp water and heat gently to dissolve. Once dissolved boil for 2 mins until about 115 C.
- Immediately in a large clean bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks,stream in the hot sugar syrup and continue to beat the egg white mixture until stiff and shiny.
- Fold the egg white mixture into the peanut butter mixture, then fold in the whipping cream and finally the egg yolk mixture.
- Pour into the tin and freeze for 6 hours or until solid and freeze for up to 2 weeks. Remove the parfait from the freezer 10 mins before use.