Cardamom is one of my favourite things to put in pudding- it works very well on top of vanilla ice cream as well as in my signature mango mousse. Here I’ve teamed it with coconut in my husband’s favourite – rice pudding. You’d never think something dairy free, egg free (and of course gluten free) could be so good!
The coconut milk and vanilla make this rich and sweet, so you don’t need to add any sugar unless you really want to, but I do recommend serving with a dollop of something tangy like a ginger or lime jam to cut through the creaminess. If you’re avoiding refined sugar, some fresh lime zest would do it too.
- 60g pudding rice
- 400ml can of coconut milk
- 6 cardamom pods
- Half a vanilla pod, split lengthways
- Ginger preserve or lime jam to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 150°c. Gently bash the cardamom pods with a rolling pin.
- Place all of the ingredients into a medium sized oven-proof bowl and stir well. Cover with foil and pop in the oven.
- Cook for one hour in the oven, stirring 2 or 3 times to ensure the pudding is cooking evenly.
- After the hour, remove the foil and continue cooking for 20-30 minutes until the rice is soft, but you still have some coconut milk to make it creamy (too long and the rice will dry and the oil will begin to separate).
- Take from the oven and allow to cool down before serving in small pots with a dollop of ginger jam (optional).